Preventing Mold in Basement St Louis
If you’re starting to notice a musty or “dank” smell in your basement, it’s extremely likely that you have mold growing there. The basement is one of the areas in the house where molds usually grow. Most water leaks also go directly to the basement which can primarily cause molds in the said area. Preventing mold st louis in the basement of your home can be done by eliminating water sources in the problem area of the house or by following some tips we will lay out for you in this article.
“Why is there mold in my basement?”
Molds are frequent in the basement because it is usually damp and dark. Mold and mildew are fungi and they grow fast in moist and humid areas. Once it started to grow in your basement, it can be difficult to eliminate them.
It is very important to stay on top of mold issues because of the health hazards they present. Some of those health hazards are asthma, coughing, infections, congestion, allergies, and skin rashes. In addition to mold being a health hazard, it also can cause damage to the foundation, weaken and decay structures, and depreciate your home’s value.
Pride Cleaning & Restoration Tips to Avoid Mold in Basement
Molds are part of a group of microorganisms called fungi that also includes mushrooms and yeasts. Molds are familiar to most people as food spoilers on items such as bread or fruit. The problem is that it can also grow where you don’t want it to – indoors. It can be found on food or clothing, in bathrooms and attics and damp basements, on carpeting, and even inside the walls of a house.
Follow the tips below to avoid mold issues:
- Allow air access to items in your basement. This will prevent moisture to your items and to your basement. Check your items in the basement once in a while to make sure that they are still free from molds.
- Clean your basement and organize the clutters. This will help for proper air circulation in your basement. If this happens, moisture can be prevented as well as molds. Make sure that your basement has enough ventilation and install fans when needed.
- Do not store newspapers, old furniture, clothes and appliances in your basement. Molds may grow in these materials.
- Check the surrounding outside of your basement. Inspect the gutters, soil or ground, trees, and many others. Make sure that the surrounding is clean and the soil is healthy.
- Make sure water spouts do not go directly to your basement or home.
- Monitor the level of humidity in your basement. You can use humidity meter to do this or install dehumidifier. The level should be lower than 45 to avoid molds in the basement.
- Use a Dehumidifier
- Inspect your basement regularly and see if there is water leakage.
- Seal or cover the cracks and holes with cement to avoid water spillage. Make sure that the cement has water proof element to prevent water from absorbing in and prevent cement to have moist.
The first step to solving your mold issues is to call Pride Cleaning & Restoration within 24 hours so that we can use our over 30 years of expertise to help you through the process.
Pride Cleaning & Restoration will help you with the following:
- How to start the Insurance claim process.
- How to determine what caused the mold problem.
- Offer solutions to remove, repair, and prevent the mold from coming back.
When mold growth starts cleanup costs increase significantly. Mold grows quickly! If you have moisture in your home or office, Call Pride Cleaning & Restoration at 314.664.8844 or 618.288.2828!